2013/05/27

Peeps Galore and More

Regarding progress on the trailer:  there are no new photos to share.  Weather has been awful lately, and I have been suffering from a severe allergic reaction to something, so progress has been slow.  The current focus is on precisely how we will mount and hinge the hatch.  Please stand by on that.

I processed a few days of bird photos, and found some worth sharing.  For starters we have Semi-Palmated Sandpipers and Dunlins, two of the class of Sandpipers known as "peeps."  The SP Sandpipers are the smaller of the two with a relatively short bill.  The Dunlins have the longer bill, a more ruddy back, and a black belly.

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

 
© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


Next up are some House Finches.  The coloration of the male caught my eye, especially around the rump.

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

Next up is an illustrated story.

A few days ago my wife and I were at Hammonasset Beach State Park during some of the cold and rainy weather.  My wife noticed a female Killdeer sitting on a nest and called my attention to it.  When I took a look, it was apparent that she wasn't sitting on a clutch of eggs but rather a pair of juvenile offspring.

Yesterday I noticed she was still on the nest, and the two juveniles were hanging around close.

Here's Mom on the nest:

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

Here are both juveniles, with one of them burrowing beneath the other:

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

Next, one of the juveniles approaches mom, seeking shelter.  I can imagine the conversation going something like this:

"Mom?"

"Yes, Junior."

"I'm cold."

"Not now, Junior.  Can't you see I'm busy?"

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

 "Sorry, Mom.  I gotta come in!"

"Sigh."


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

Note that with Mom standing, two of the three eggs in her new clutch can be seen.  Is it any wonder she looks put-upon by the juvenile?


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


 (muffled) "Thanks, Mom!"

"They can't leave the nest quickly enough!"

As it turns out, she was sitting both on a clutch of eggs AND two juveniles!

No comments: