2013/05/05

More Brown Thrashers, and a House Finch Variant

I really like Brown Thrashers.  They are relatively scarce around our area, but I have found a nesting pair that provide regular photo ops.  I call them a nesting pair because a) the two of them have been in the same area for several days now, and b) I watched them gather nesting material and fly into the same spot in the underbrush.  Thus, I surmise they are building a nest.

Here is one of them gathering materials.

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

This one has just snapped up a nice insect for breakfast.

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

The pair.

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

Such a handsome bird!

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

Next up is the orange or yellow or peach variant of the House Finch.  Some references show all the red being replaced with yellow; this little guy is somewhere between red and yellow.  

I love the coloration on this oddball! 

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

Finally, Willets around here are plentiful and noisy.  And they can become annoying, chasing each other around and making a racket while establishing and protecting territory.  Still, I love this pose, and he is complaining to me that I am disturbing his morning vigil.

I love the coloration on this oddball!

No comments: