2013/06/01

Oops! Rosewood and Polyurethane Don't Mix. Segue: Lacquer!

In a previous post I noted that we applied polyurethane to the Rosewood electrical boxes.  Well, the urethane never hardened.  Why?  Because Rosewood contains oils that prevent the full polymerization of polyurethane.

Now I know that.  Then, well, I should have.

Back in the mid-1970's I built an electronics enclosure from Rosewood that required very special preparation for a catalyzed lacquer finish.  How quickly I forgot that experience.

After the boxes failed to harden with polyurethane I did some research on the internet and quickly recalled my adventure from almost 40 years ago.  Subsequently, I scrubbed the boxes with acetone and steel wool to remove the polyurethane.  I then sanded with 400-grit paper, sealed with Deft lacquer sanding sealer, sanded again with 400-grit paper, then applied three coats of Deft Semi-Gloss Spray Lacquer.

The results are as expected, and quite spectacular.

© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved


© 2013 Emmitt Dove All Rights Reserved

No comments: