2013/07/17

Insulate Insulate Insulate!

The previous post showed the re-fitting of the inner layer of insulation on the sides.  The past two days I have been cutting and fitting the two layers for the front/top.  At this time I have only fitted out bays where no wiring exists.  Sean wishes to keep all bays with wiring free until the electrical work is finalized.

It has been hot.  Damned hot for Connecticut.  Working on the top of the trailer under the tent, which retains heat up high, is, well, hot.  Still, I've managed to fill in all the bays I can, except for a few at the lower front which are small, and will use leftover pieces from the balance of the work.

Today I mounted the galley counter edge rail.  No biggie, but it was awaiting Sean's "all clear" for the electrical and plumbing work in the galley.  

Meanwhile, I had used 3M painter's tape (blue) to mask the cooler drawer front and the stove drawer front while finishing the balance of the drawers.  Unexpectedly, when I peeled the tape, the adhesive had reacted with the Deft lacquer I had used to finish the parts I wanted to protect.  The result was a sticky surface.  I tried using paint thinner to remove the sticky, but it unfortunately reacted with the lacquer. 

So, today I used a chisel to scrape most of the sticky mess off, then used 150 grit sandpaper to ball up the balance, then 220 grit paper to sand the surface smooth again.  I had to reapply sanding sealer to these surfaces, as most of them had been taken down to bare wood.

No pictures today, just narrative.

Tomorrow I plan to sand the surfaces where I applied sanding sealer today and get one or two coats of lacquer applied.  Then, we plan to start fitting the plywood sides - cutting the sheets to profile plus a half-inch or so, such that when the electrical work is complete we can fit the outer layer of insulation and encase the entire trailer in the plywood sheath.

When the (re)finish on the drawers is complete, I can do the final installation and fitting.

No comments: