2012/06/26

The Trailer Depot


At this point I should mention that I purchased my Aluma trailer at The Trailer Depot in Northford, CT.  Bobby Fantarella was most helpful, patient and understanding in the process of my coming to a conclusion as to the proper platform.  They sell a broad line of trailers, and have very competent parts and service departments to boot.

Builders have three basic choices:

  • Purchase a "bolt-together" trailer from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, for example
  • Build a custom-welded trailer from scratch
  • Purchase a "platform" trailer, such as the Aluma 6310H that I bought.
The issues with "bolt-together" or custom-welded trailers are the ability to stand up to long-term corrosion, the need to get a VIN to register the trailer, the elements required for DOT compliance, and the need to seal the floor bottom against moisture.

My trailer met all of those issues at purchase:  the all-aluminum construction avoids the corrosion issues; the solid bed avoids the sealing against moisture problem; and, it had a VIN and was DOT-certified at delivery.

I must note, though, that the other two options are less costly, naturally.  Still, I felt the added investment was worthwhile considering the issues I avoided.


  



No comments: